Friday, May 23, 2008

School's out.....Summer Fun!

I'll never forget the feeling when I was in college (as a young person, and then when I went back to get my R.N. degree a little over 10 years ago), right after all of my final exams were over at the end of each semester. I always had this feeling of great relief. I felt like a load was literally lifted from me, and I almost felt physically lighter. Well, I kind of get that same feeling each spring when my job as a RN Mentor at Nursing School comes to a close. I get the summers off! On my last day of work each May, I always walk down the health science division stairs and feel such a sense of freedom. It's not that I don't enjoy my job. It's actually a wonderful job and I truly enjoy assisting the nursing students through their rigorous program. However, I feel so fortunate to have the summers off , to catch up with things around the house, to spend more time with family and friends, and just to re-energize myself before the school year starts all over again.
Some of things I enjoy doing during the summer months are: beach bon fires making "smores," beach outings with the grandchildren, going to the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach, family vacations, sitting on the lounge chair in the backyard in the sun and listening to the birds, backyard bar-b-ques, staying up late and watching movies, and sleepovers at Aster Street (my parent's little "beach house" in Laguna Beach). What are some things you enjoy doing during the summer? Do you have any fun summer memories?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you and your family today. Randy gave such a touching testimony yesterday. School's and I am officially unemployed at the end of the week. Looking forward to making some memories with the kids.

Kellie said...

Hi Nancy! Summer breaks ARE so refreshing! I love to have bonfires and stay up late to watch movies too. Summer makes me want to ditch my responsibilities and go to the beach! :) Enjoy your summer break! The family should have a bonfire together! Wouldn't that be fun?

HunnyHull said...

I was just thinking about how I would love to feel that "summer break" feeling again. I kind of miss that lightness!