Friday, April 11, 2008

Family Traditions



As I was contemplating some of the traditions we have in our family, I realized how they truly do bind families together. It is that special something that makes each family unique. In our family, during a designated time on Christmas Eve, the cousins all run down my parents hallway and out the door to see if Santa has come They are joined by their parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents who line the hallway banging pots and pans. This is tradition that was brought over by my German great-grandparents. We have done it every Christmas Eve that I remember.
On birthday's we used to hide the kids presents under our bed, and then when it was time to open them, everyone jumped up on our bed and the siblings would take turns bringing a presents out from under the bed. This is another tradition I adopted from my growing up years.
A tradition I started about 10 years ago is "dinner-in-a-pumpkin" on Halloween....Initially no one wanted to eat the yummy stew-like substance I cooked into a real pumpkin, but now if I say I'm not cooking dinner in a pumpkin on Halloween....I receive death threats! (J/K)
Anyway.....I was wondering if you guys have some traditions that you would like to share.
Or traditions that you have been thinking of starting.

11 comments:

Peck Family said...

i want the stew recipe! YUMMERS

Sarah Hull said...

I love all of our family traditions. Now that I am a mom, I realize that they take effort and it is alot easier to just not do them and just say "Happy Halloween, Or Hapapy Birthday here is your present..." but you always went the extra mile to make it more fun. I REALLY need to be better at keeping the traditions that I grew up with alive.
Thank you for being such a lover of traditions.
Love you! I am excited for our fun day today! See you soon.

Sarah Hull said...

What the heck happened to my "happy" on "happy birthday?"

Leticia said...

Wow...I love the Christmas eve tradition...That sounds like a fun one to start...I am a Beck by marriage...And the Beck's have a Albelskiever breakfast Christmas morning...or matching PJ's on Christmas Eve...
Thanks for sharing your great ideas...Might have to steal a few :0

SUMMER said...

I LOVE traditions. My dad's family has many. Every year we go up to the Glendale Center Theatre and see "A Christmas Carol". His family has been going for over 40 years. Another one that I loved growing up was every year.. the day after thanksgiving, my mom and dad would take us to pick out a Christmas CD to listen to for the season. The hope was that we could eventually have a great Holiday music library and it worked. I have so many Christmas CD's and love to listen to them each year! Fun to see you today!!!

Amy said...

Always good times in the Smith home!!! We need to copy some of those traditions. We've been shopping for traditions.

Becca Jones said...

I love family traditions! We've always been willing to invite other families over on Sunday afternoons/nights for family dinners and I love it! I want to carry that tradition on in my own family!

HunnyHull said...

I couldn't help but have the funniest visual in my head when you were talking about running down the hall in your house. That is so funny. Great Blog!!!

Donovan and Tawny Holloway said...

Very fun blog Nancy!

The Duncan Proect said...

You haven't lived until you have had the Tate Family Birthday song sung to you. The song combines the traditional Happy Birthday with 4 other Primary birthday songs. One year the song lasted long enough for the decorations to melt on the cake.

sandy k. smith said...

Good pictures of me, mom. Thank you.